Saturday, November 17, 2007

Topic for today: TV shows, part the second

Gossip Girl - I will admit that I both watched and enjoyed The O.C. Probably because I was invested in several of the characters. That has not happened so far in watching Gossip Girl. Not that I dislike all the characters, but even the "likable" ones haven't drawn me in much yet. I'll give it time, but this is another one that I allow to languish a bit on the TiVo before I watch it. Maybe I'm simply not their target audience. 5 out of 10.

Private Practice - The Grey's spin off. Where Addison turns from a strong, smart, sure-of-herself surgeon to a whiny, relationship-obsessed shadow of her former self. I'm not the first to say it. I actually like the show, but not as much as earlier seasons of Grey's. And Addison, who was one of my favorite people before, is not so much my favorite on this show. 7 out of 10.

Life - I enjoy the ongoing story (who set up Crewes to go to jail in the first place) and so far even the case-of-the-weeks have been decent. I've read of people trying to say Crewes is like House which is not something I see. Sometimes quirky, sure. Occasionally a little vague. But not rude or egocentric and all that. 6.5 out of 10.

Big Shots - I'm pretty sure this is now permanently off the air. Oh was it bad. Mysoginistic. So... it's perfectly fine for one of the male leads to cheat on his wife, but when a different wife cheats on her husband - the horrors! The "look at how girly we're being" jokes. A couple of the characters/storylines (Duncan/Lisbeth/Cameron/Terrence) were drawing me in towards the end. But I don't think the show could have been saved. Which pains me as it was a weekly dose of Michael Vartan on my TV screen. 2 out of 10.

Women's Murder Club - I like this show more than I expected to. It is yet another crime-solving show. And there are a lot of those. This one is not too terribly different from the others but I like the characters and it's an easy, fun, lightweight show. And I have a soft spot for Rob Estes from way back in his Silk Stocking days (which I used to sneak up to watch as it was on past my bedtime). 6.5 out of 10.

No comments: