Saturday, November 03, 2007

Spain 2005 - the odds and ends edition

* I do not think that people in Madrid bake. I say this because I did go to several grocery stores and only in one did I see flour. I already mentioned that I could not find chocolate chips at all even after several days of searching. I suppose you just buy baked goods if you live there. I also never saw vanilla, or pesto, or hummus in the stores there. Not that the last 2 have anything in particular to do with baking.

* The milk is not refrigerated before you open it. It comes in boxes like boxed soup does here. It didn't taste all that different. But it did surprise me at first.

* Someone who was more outgoing would probably have met people in a month and made friends and gone out. I did not. It was a very isolating experience in a way. I talked to my host mom. And the host son. And wait staff and museum attendants and the like. Which is pathetic but the best I could manage combining my natural introversion and reticence to use my so-so Spanish.

* On the other hand I did get to see a lot of Madrid and feel like I didn't stick to just the touristy areas. I actually experienced daily life there which was one of my goals.

* I do wish I had been able to travel around the country more. I also wish I had made it to some of the famous nightlife areas or at least one measly discoteca. Also a Flamenco show.

* I regret all those times I rushed to be back in the condo for English lessons that never happened. On one hand I feel like I didn't uphold my end of the "teach us English and we'll put you up for a month" bargain. On the other hand, I tried. I really tried. And if you aren't going to be there at all one day (never mind the times you are technically there but refuse to interact with me) tell me because I really could have found something else to do. Something more fun than sitting by myself in an otherwise empty condo.

No comments: