Monday, November 05, 2007

First, an organizational point for NaBloPoMo. I will not be posting on Sundays. Why? I do not generally use the computer at all on Sundays. It is my mini-version of a day of rest. No computers, no shopping, no cleaning. Anyway, I forgot to mention this before yesterday, so I'm saying it now. Oh, and also, I'll be out of town next Saturday and not near a computer so I'll miss that day too but I'll be writing something on paper and transferring it the following Monday. I'm probably breaking all sorts of rules for NaBloPoMo.

One of the things I do in my spare time is lead the youth group at my church. Every year we babysit while a local elementary school holds its annual auction. (We get paid, so it's a fundraiser for us too.) Last Saturday was the big babysitting gig. It went so-much-better than it ever has before. Normally we open at 6:30 and by 7:30 I'm glancing at my watch wondering how much longer until I can go home. This year I first glanced at my watch at 9:30. It felt controlled rather than like barely controlled chaos.

Part of the reason is, I'm sure, that we had only 50 kids show up. We've had up to 70 in the past. Another part is that the children who did come seemed much calmer. It is my theory that there are one or two kids who, if they come, can incite chaos among their peers. Not bad kids, just exitable. And those kids did not come this year. (I don't know which specific children, well, I have a clue about one, but I'm talking about the type in general.)

2 comments:

Jan said...

Hey, Stephanie, you're doing it! Good for you.

You can do whatever you like, you just won't win a prize if your name gets drawn at the end. That's if you're even officially signed up at all. No biggie.

If you're going to put posts up, I'll and you to my blogroll. You know, so I can share my huge audience of 8 with you. :)

Stephanie said...

I am officially signed up however I do not care if I'm out a prize at the end. I didn't even know there *was* a prize. (I clearly did a whole lot of due diligence before signing up.) ALthough now that it's too late, I'm wondering just how good these prizes are...