Wednesday, November 04, 2009

It turns out my original idea (do one class session's worth of reading per day) was stupidly, stupidly optimistic. I hadn't really even put it into those terms; had I done so I would have realized that the planned pace was even faster than the class pace would be. And all while fitting in the rest of life around it - job, chores, etc. I was not thinking clearly.

That being said, I will jump in today on Gender and Technology. I have no plan on exactly how I will approach each day, but for today it will be quotes from the book's introduction and my response.

"Social beliefs and practices and technological developments reciprocally shape each other, often with unexpected outcomes, as humans debate and negotiate the alternatives and the constraints." (pg. 7) Agreed! And this is what I was trying to get at in one of my notes on the outline yesterday. It is not a one way street.

"... we must recognize also that both gender and technology are about power: social, cultural, economic, political. " (Also pg. 7) I'm not sold on this. I'm not saying that gender and power or technology and power are completely unrelated, but framing them as primarily concerned with power seems off to me. Too simplistic. Maybe as I read further I will be convinced, but I doubt it. By placing the concept of power in the center, you have defined it as the one thing that is most important. That seems needlessly restrictive. And I'd disagree in any case.

No comments: