Wednesday, June 22, 2005

There is a resident homeless person at the library. He sits outside with his bags and backpacks and generally plays a recorder (wind instrument) and tries to talk to people as they go in. Every once in a while someone will stop to talk when he hails them. I've stopped and talked with him (read: listened to his monologue). Ever since the powers that be told him to move to the side of the library and not right smack dab in front of it, going in and out is easier. (I am the *last* person who would suggest not allowing someone to sit on public land because they are homeless. But he really is quite persistent, so asking him to sit out of the main flow of traffic seems ok.)

Last night I wanted to make a quick stop ay the library. Since I was nearby for gymnastics anyway, going over right after class made sense. As I entered the library he said hello and something about me looking nice today. Whatever. He was at least 40 feet away so I ignored him entirely. Then as I was getting ready to go to the check out counter, I realized I couldn't find my card. I sat on one of the chairs to search through my purse. He sat down in a chair facing me and tried to talk to me while I was searching. (I haven't ever seen him inside the library before.)
Homeless dude: It's warm in here.
Me: hmmm
HD: Isn't it warm?
Me: Gotta go. (card apparently not anywhere in my purse, maybe they will let me check my books out anyway)
HD: You're going already?
Me: Yes, bye.

So I checked out (which you can do without your card for a dollar). Left the building. He apparently beat me outside the better to call to me once again that I look nice today. Three times in one five minute visit. This I did not sign up for.

The point of all this is that I did not look nice. I had just come from gymnastics. My hair was a mess, I was slightly sweaty, my hands had chalk on them. While he always talks to pretty much anyone, he is never that persistent. And his general schtick is "What are you studying?" All I can think is that what he meant last night was "You have big boobs today." You can sort of tell when that is what has attracted someone's attention. It is odd, because despite wandering the earth with roughly the same sized chest since I was in high school, this is the first time that I felt so put on the spot based entirely on my bra size. Maybe that is because I am oblivious (entirely possible). Maybe that is because homeless dude hides stuff like that less well than other people. Maybe it is because I don't generally walk around wearing a leotard. But in any case - yuck. Just yuck. I don't want to have to don my baggiest clothes just to go to the library, but I may have to because the whole thing made me uncomfortable. And yet nothing he did was out of line. It was just too... something. Wrong somehow.

No comments: