Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I hope this doesn't sound insufferably snotty, but seriously, if you apply for a job and are contacted by someone saying they want to do a phone interview, wouldn't you consider it somewhat basic to maybe, I don't know, look up the company for which you are interviewing? Yes, I know, I didn't give a ton of notice for when the interview itself was, but you got the email saying I wanted to call you, *you* suggested the next day. I expect you to have some clue as to which company you are interviewing with.

I don't particularly love the whole interview proces to start with. I hate talking on the phone. So when I am doing screening interviews, you gotta do something to make me interested in you. Anything. When asked why you applied to this particular position at this particular company, answering that you saw the position listed on craigslist so you sent your resume in is... not what I'm looking for. When I ask if you are familiar with our product, asking what product that is again... not wowing me with your interest or enthusiasm. So, blech. And I'm too nice (a.k.a. wimpy) to say "forget it" right then and there so I had to suffer through 15 minutes of trying to pretend I'm interested and then promise that I will get back to you after we have weighed the relative merits of everyone we're talking to.

Also, today? Not going well. Nothing earth shattering. Except they cancelled Joan of Arcadia and now I will never know how or when or if Kevin walks again much less if he dances at his wedding. I won't get to see what happens to Grace and Luke. I won't see Lily or hear her down to earth observations. Adam will forever be a schmuck in my mind because he was never given enough time to redeem himself and that is just sad because I don't want him to be what the writers made him in the last few episodes when he was so not that in the year and a half before that. This was a show that made you think. It talked about faith without being schmaltzy. It didn't claim to have all the answers. It had great actors and actresses. I cared about the characters. They never pretended that any of them were perfect when they weren't (um, hello Rory!) and I liked them all the more for that.

No comments: