Tuesday, October 23, 2001

Today is one more reason that I really like the company I work for. Today we invited a law professor who specializes in Middle Eastern affairs (legal and political) to speak to us at a brown bag lunch. About 75% of the company showed up to hear his talk and ask questions. We've had these discussions from time to time and I like the fact that we take time out from work to talk about tough issues and learn something that is not at all related to our particular jobs or our industry. (I work for an internet company.) Since I knew almost nothing about the history of that region before, I learned a lot. While I didn't 100% agree with the point of view that the speaker expressed, I definitely learned and thought about our country's policies in the Middle East. The speaker was really pushing for the stopping of the Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip areas. I know nothing about the conflict other than that it exists and both sides send suicide bombers, kill civilians, and assassinate leaders. He made a convincing argument for his position but did not really explain the reasons we might not want to follow his suggestions. So I would want to hear the other side first before I decide what I think and feel about that issue.