Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I sort of glossed over something that happened during week 1. I said that I was "hit on by a man who appeared to be more than twice my age." So I am expanding here. I will just start by saying, yes, I am a big huge idiot. Dumb. Naive. Wimpy.

I was in Plaza de Espana. I sat down to look at a map to figure out where I wanted to go next. An older guy (I'd guess 60+) on the next bench over asked if I was from Madrid. I told him no and we had a short conversation about where I was from. Thus far I was thinking, mainly, wow look at me go I'm having an actual conversation in Spanish. He asked if I like to dance. Yes, I love dancing! Do I have a boyfriend. No. What have I seen already? Very little, only parts of Madrid. How long am I here for? Three more weeks. I was not getting any strange vibes or anything at that point. He asked if I wanted to go get coffee and I said sure, why not. (Okay, I actually went into the whole I don't drink coffee thing, but whatever.) This guy is older than my father and was the first person who spoke to me at all other than my host family and wait staff.

So we went to a McDonald's (ugh, for this I go half-way around the world?) and he ordered drinks and we sat down. Here it got weird. He offered to drive me to Toledo to visit because it would be faster than the bus. I politely declined. I mean, I'm not *that* stupid. But still, it seemed under control. But it quickly went off track. He sat closer and tried to put his hands on my thigh. I said no and removed his hand. His hands wandered more and I said no, and removed his hands. People, I was still sitting there! Why? Seriously, I was uncomfortable, but didn't really feel endangered or anything. Yet I still sat there. I think there are two reasons: one, I wanted to be polite [pause for the scoffing to die down...] and two I think I was just sort of frozen. As in, is this really happening to me? Here in sight of at least 20 other patrons? The guy kept talking. And I was not entirely tracking. (1 part foreign language, 1 part thinking of other things) Until he mentioned something about a condom. Hello! See, here, you're thinking that was the last straw and I booked it out of there. But no. I started explaining that I don't do that. That we're not married (and he argues that we don't have to be and I say that *I* do and... WHY was I still there???). I think we carried on in that vein for several minutes. I still didn't want to make a scene or be impolite. I like to believe that had I felt actual danger I would have. Anyway, eventually I convinced him. Yet still! Instead of walking away, I agreed to take a picture with him. Gah! I also listened as he told me where I could find him if I wanted to look him up later on. Fat chance.

So that is it. Yes, it is mainly his fault. I said no, I wasn't giggling or being coy. I think I was clear. Then again, I didn't get up and walk away. And I could have. So.

But I am also curious -- what in the heck is it about me that made this guy think there was a chance in h*ll that I would take him up on his, ahem, "offer." Really, what made him think there was any chance?

2 comments:

mapletree7 said...


But I am also curious -- what in the heck is it about me that made this guy think there was a chance in h*ll that I would take him up on his, ahem, "offer." Really, what made him think there was any chance?


Nothing. He's operating on the assumption that if he asks 500 strangers to have sex with him, eventually one will say yes. You were just another 'no' on the way to his imaginary 'yes'.

Myownigloo said...

Hi, Steph! There's nothing wrong with you!

Guys of any age will hit on any woman they find attractive on the chance that one will say yes.

Thinking "What is it about me that he thinks [he'll score]" is granting the man way too much cerebral activity.

Trust me. And FWIW, I would have done the same thing and I'm twice your age.

Honestly, when you're in "I'm getting a chance to practice my Spanish" mode and you're just delighted to be able to carry on a conversation, why would you expect yourself to remember to engage your "thinking in English" street smarts?

moi, MOI